Join The Dance Register

Why Join The Dance Register?

The Dance Register is a great tool for dance teachers and leaders to:

  • Show employers and the public you are committed to best practice: by joining The Dance Register you are signing up to the Code of Professional Conduct and must pass The Dance Register Minimum Entry Requirements, which together provide quality assurance for employers and potential students
  • Build your reputation and attract new students: The Dance Register is a free to search one-stop-shop website for members of the public and dance employers looking for high-quality dance teachers in the UK. You can showcase your work using a dedicated online profile, which includes details of your qualifications, experience, dance styles, and the age groups you teach. 

The Dance Register also:

  • Provides up-to-date dance-industry wide information: through our Latest News, Twitter and Facebook feeds
  • Provides a context for your work: Joining The Dance Register will give you access to the largest searchable database of dance teachers in the UK for networking, discussion and debate


Once you have joined, you will be given a Dance Register Member Logo to use as a quality mark on digital and printed publicity materials.

Click here to join via a Gateway Organisation (£15 per year) | Click here to join direct (£40 per year)

Dance Register Gateway Organisations

If you are a member of a Dance Register Gateway Organisation you can join for £15 per year (usual price £40). Contact your Gateway to start your application:

Council for Dance Education & Training T: 020 7240 5703 | E:

The agency which provides quality assurance for the professional dance and musical theatre industries. Click here for a list of CDET member Awarding Organisations.

Dance UK T: 020 7713 0730 | E:

The national advocate for dance, working to promote sustainable, longer dance careers and improve conditions in which dance is created, performed and experienced

Exercise Movement and Dance Partnership T: 01403 266000 | E:

The lead National Governing Body for exercise, movement and dance

Foundation for Community Dance T: 0116 253 3453 | E:

The professional organisation for anyone involved in creating opportunities for people to experience and participate in dance

Direct Entry

If you want to join The Dance Register but do not want to join a Gateway Organisation, you can join direct for £40 per year. Please complete our online application form. Payment will be due once your application has been assessed and you are ready to join The Dance Register.

Why Have Minimum Entry Requirements

In order to join The Dance Register you must meet all of The Dance Register Minimum Entry Requirements. Put simply, the Entry Requirements are the minimum you should have in place to operate in a professional manner as a dance teacher. Working alongside our Code of Professional Conduct, they provide basic quality assurance and:

  • demonstrate to employers and participants that you are committed to best practice and have the framework in place to work in a professional manner
  • help raise your reputation as a responsible and effective dance professional
  • help employers and the general public to identify the basic requirements they should ask for from a dance teacher
  • are designed to give members of the public and employers confidence that they are working with a dance professional who is committed to getting it right

The Minimum Entry Requirements are central to The Dance Register’s mission to drive up standards in dance teaching and leading.

If you want to join The Dance Register but do not currently meet some of the Minimum Entry Requirements please talk to DTAP or your Gateway Organisation.

What are the Minimum Entry Requirements?

If you are interested in joiningThe Dance Register, you will need to demonstrate:

  • You are aged 18+
  • You work in the UK, have the right to work in the UK, and could evidence this
  • You hold professional insurances for all dance teaching you undertake. This must include public liability insurance to a level of £5 million or above. If you do not hold your own insurance but are covered by your employer(s) for all teaching you undertake you are still eligible to join The Dance Register, as long as you provide appropriate insurance details valid for all your teaching activities – even if this is through multiple employers.
  • If working with children, young people and/or vulnerable adults, you possess an enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service Check carried out within the last 2-years and are prepared to share it (please note existing enhanced CRB Check Certificates are valid for 2013 entry)
  • You are committed to including your level of experience and/or qualifications on your Register profile
  • You are committed to ongoing training and Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
  • You have a Health & Safety Policy in place and could evidence this

You will also need to tell us whether you have completed basic first aid training in the last 2-years, and will be asked to sign up to The Dance Register’s Code of Professional Conduct.

Code of Professional Conduct

Click here to view the Code of Professional Conduct

Useful Information and Links

The Dance Register Minimum Entry Requirements exist to promote good practice. If you need help meeting any of the Minimum Entry Requirements please contact DTAP or your Gateway Organisation. A range of useful resources are also provided below.


A cornerstone of best practice as a professional dance teacher is making sure you are appropriately insured for all the dance teaching activities you undertake.

For more information on business insurance click here

Health & Safety Policy

Download a template policy here

If you would like to find out more about health & safety at work visit the Health & Safety Executive website

Disclosure & Barring Scheme Check

For more information on what an enhanced Disclosure & Barring Scheme Check is, the change from CRB to DBS Check, and how to get a check click here

First Aid Training

A range of basic first aid training providers are included below:

British Red Cross

St John Ambulance

Tutor Care

Proof of Age

Visit the PASS website for more information about PASS accredited proof of age cards (available to anyone up to 21 years old) 

For more information on applying for a British passport click here

Click here to find out how to order a copy of your Birth Certificate

Visit the DVLA website for information on applying for a UK Driving Licence

Right to Work in the UK

If you are ever required to provide proof of your right to work in the UK, the following documents/combination of documents are needed:

PRIMARY LIST: The following documents are sufficient to prove your right to work in the UK and are not time limited

  • Passport showing British Citizen, UK Citizen or Colonies
  • Passport or national identity card showing the individual is a national of the European Economic Area or Switzerland. Restrictions on Romania and Bulgaria
  • Residence permit or certificate issued by Home Office or Border Agency to a national of a European Economic Area country or Switzerland
  • A Biometric Residence Permit issued by UK Border Agency indicating indefinite period of stay

SECONDARY LIST: The following documents are sufficient to prove your right to work in the UK, but are time limited

  • Passport or travel document that shows the holder is allowed to stay in th UK and do the work in question
  • Biometric Residence Permit issued by UK Border Agency that shows the holder is allowed to do the work in question

COMBINATION LIST: You can also supply a combination of documents as follows

  • You must have: National Insurance document containing number and name (card, official letter) ALONG WITH a Birth Certificate issued in the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man, Ireland OR an Adoption Certificate issued in the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man or Ireland
  • You must have: A work permit or other approval to take employment issued by the Home Office, Border Immigration Agency or the UK Border Agency AND a passport or other travel document endorsed to show you are allowed to stay in the UK and are allowed to do the work in question OR A letter issued by the Home Office, the Border and Immigration Agency or the UK Border Agency to your employer confirming the same