About The Dance Register
Background and Purpose
The Dance Register has been created by the Dance Training & Accreditation Partnership (DTAP) to:
- Provide a nationally recognised, free to search ‘one-stop shop’ for people looking for a suitably qualified and/or experienced dance teacher in their area
- Compliment informal, word of mouth recommendations, by providing public access to a directory of dance teachers in the UK who have passed The Dance Register's Minimum Entry Requirements and who work across a range of dance styles (eg. Acrobatic, Expressive, Contemporary, Jazz)
- Enable dance employers, parents, carers and participants to identify dance teachers who are committed to sound professional practice - The Dance Register provides quality assurance
- Drive up standards of dance teaching and leadership, by ensuring teachers who join The Dance Register adhere to a Code of Professional Conduct and are committed to regular training and CPD
What is The Dance Register?
The Dance Register is:
- A free-to-search online directory of dance teachers in the UK who work across a range of dance styles and settings. All teachers listed have passed The Dance Register Minimum Entry Requirements and signed up to our Code of Professional Conduct, providing basic quality assurance for members of the public and dance employers.
- Accessible to dance teachers through membership of one of the Dance Register Gateway Organisations: Council for Dance Education and Training (CDET), Dance UK, the Exercise Movement and Dance Partnership (EMDP) and the Foundation for Community Dance (FCD). If you join through a Gateway Organisation membership costs £15 per year (usual price £40 per year).
- Accessible via Direct Entry for dance teachers who are not part of a Gateway Organisation
You can search The Dance Register using a range of search options, including by postcode, dance style (eg. Ballroom, Commercial, Flamenco, Tap) and age group. You can then access more information about a dance teacher (eg. level of experience, qualifications, recent training/CPD) from his or her individual profile.
Who is The Dance Register for?
The Dance Register is for:
Dance teachers, leaders and artists
- by providing exposure to a wide range of potential dance employers and participants - The Dance Register is UK-wide and spans the dance industry
- by advertising key information about a teacher's work through a dedicated online profile
- by confirming a commitment to professional practice in meeting the Minimum Entry Requirements
- by providing access to leading dance development organisations through DTAP
The public (including dance employers)
- by providing access to a free, fully searchable database of UK dance teachers and leaders who meet The Dance Register’s Minimum Entry Requirements and have committed to our Code of Professional Conduct. The Dance Register provides basic quality assurance for anyone looking to access or employ quality dance teaching and leading.
- by establishing a directory of dance teachers and leaders who work in a wide range of dance styles and settings. Use the Quick Search to find a dance teacher in your area, or the Advanced Search function to filter your search by Professional Memberships, Teaching Qualification Level, participant group and/or teaching setting.
What is DTAP?
The Dance Training & Accreditation Partnership (DTAP) is a major dance industry-led initiative that brings together a consortium of leading national dance organisations in the UK, committed to building capacity and removing barriers to participation in dance. DTAP's core mission is to address issues of participation in dance across all ages and sections of society. The initiative aims to:
- Enhance the quality of the leadership and facilitation of participatory dance
- Build capacity in the dance industry to develop a dance workforce qualified and skilled to meet demand
- Take forward work to develop regulation of dance teaching, leadership and facilitation beyond statutory education
- Develop greater communication and collaboration across the dance industry on issues of quality, standards and good practice
To find out more about DTAP’s work visit www.dtap.org.uk.
DTAP’s work is overseen by a management group involving the following national organisations:
- Association of Dance of the African Diaspora (ADAD)
- Council for Dance Education and Training (CDET)
- Dance HE (previously SCODHE)
- Dance UK
- Exercise, Movement and Dance Partnership (EMDP)
- Foundation for Community Dance (FCD)
- National Dance Teachers Association (NDTA)
- South Asian Dance Alliance (SADAA)
- Sport and Recreation Alliance
- Youth Dance England (YDE)
The Dance Register has been developed with support from:
Website design and development:
Hair and Make-up (Dance Register photoshoot):
With thanks to the DTAP Ambassadors for The Dance Register:
Jonathan Goddard - Freelance Dance Artist
Clare Craze - Freelance Dance Artist
Students from The Italia Conti Academy of Theatre Arts
Students from The Urdang Academy
Annette Walker - Dance Teacher
Kate Scanlan (with Scarlett May) - Scanner's Inc
Emily Williams - Assistant Delivery Officer, EMDP